Saturday, October 8, 2011

A plate full

A lot has happen since I last posted.  Be busy getting things in line for fire prevention week.  Since I have not fire prevention officer at this time, the burden falls to me to get things done.  Sent a letter to all members asking for help and got the usual responses.  Have a program everyday next week.  3 of our 4 female members are taking time to help out, one for two days and one for 3.   Will have about 8 people help with the open house on next Saturday.  Told them we needed a commitment from at least 6 people to be there or we would cancel it.  So I guess it is a go.  Need to order refreshments and some other things but should be okay.  After the open house, my wife and I are leaving for a couple of days away.  Budget for next year has been approved without much comment.  We should be in good shape unless all you know what breaks out. Need to have an officers meeting soon.  Have an agenda put together, now need to get it finalize and out to the officers for their information  before the meeting.   Another department in the county was just hit by OSHA,  no word on any penalties but the needed to get their SOP/SOG in order.  They had more done on that than we do, so looks like I will need to get started on that as soon as possible.  Will farm some of that out to some other officers, but if past history is any indication of results,  I will end up doing  it.   Started to keep a log of my hours spent on department stuff.  Might not be a good idea, but need to know if asked how I spent my time.
Last week end was missions conference at church.  Has a couple of young ladies who were very impressive, at least in my opinion.   From what I heard and saw, those few, and I stress few, who got to know them at all seem to hold the same opinion.  Had thought we might get 25-30 people on Saturday night at my house for a informal fellowship, got 9 and that included the two young ladies and my wife and I. Most of the committee didn't make  it and neither did any of our pastor's.  I was a little discouraged but at least I got to know them very well.  Took them to lunch on Sunday and we spent nearly 3 hours talking.  This will be my last conference as chairman.  I have told the pastor that I will not be chairman next year.  Time for someone else to step up.  Have sensed that the last couple of years that our church has not been all that into missions.  Not sure why.  but I sense that the leadership has been giving it a low priority and as such interest from them has been low,  and if their leadership interest is low, the rest of the church will not be any higher.  There are a couple of people that I think still have a heart for missions, but also not sure that it is something that they feel as passionate about as I do.  I guess churches interest can change and I hope that someday it will again be a major part of our church ministry but I  really doubt if it will every happen.  I will keep a breast of what is going on, but not sure what the future holds for us.
It seems that of late I am always tired, I sleep for about 7 hours a night, and by early evening I'm ready for bed.  Today, we have a house full of grand kids and it is hectic around here.  Just getting them all to bed takes what seems to be 3-4 hours.  By the time the last one is in bed and asleep it is after midnight.  I seems that I find myself being a grouch when they are here,  but some times I think they need a little more structure in their lives.  Also, a little less adrenalin would be good.    For the most part, Grandma is good cop and me I'm the bad cop.  Have a busy week coming up.  Hope all goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment